Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
A resource-based framework for analyzing IT-enabled collaboration in small and medium enterprises
Fu, Hsuan Han
Chang, Hsin Lu
Fu, Hsuan Han
small and medium sized enterprises
|Issue Date:||2012-10-30 10:58:48 (UTC+8)|
|Abstract:||中小企業一向是經濟成長的主力，然而受限其資源的短缺，往往無法提供顧客更好的商品或服務。雖然文獻指出中小企業可以透過資訊科技與夥伴和顧客合作來克服它先天的弱勢並提供更好的服務，但仍有許多模糊未解的問題。例如，哪一種中小企業較願意導入以資訊科技為基礎的協同合作模式(IT-enabled Collaboration)？而這樣的合作模式是否能真正的提升他們的績效表現呢？本研究以資源基礎理論和服務導向邏輯理論(service-dominant logic)為基礎，將資源分為operant資源、operand資源、資源互補性及資源相似性，試圖找出在何種資源模式下，中小企業會偏向使用以資訊科技為基礎的協同合作模式。研究方法採用個案研究，並以宜蘭縣枕頭山休閒農業區的八家中小型業者為目標進行訪談。在資料蒐集和分析之後，本研究發現operand資源與operant資源皆會正向的影響到中小企業對科技化合作的參與，其中又以operant資源的影響為更大。此外，從研究中也驗證了科技化合作能促成中小企業績效的提升。根據研究結果，本研究將operant資源視為影響中小企業導入科技化合作模式進而達成績效提升的主要關鍵資源。|
Small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) are the main force to economic growth, but they usually restricted by resource shortage when they want to upgrade goods or services. Past literature has indicated collaboration with partners and customers through information technology (IT) may overcome their weakness and serve better. However, there still are blurs, like what kind of SMEs are more likely to engage IT-enabled collaboration? Will IT-enabled collaboration really enhance SMEs performance? Our research framework based on resource-based view and service-dominant logic categorizing SME resources into (1) operand resources, (2) operant resources, (3) resource complementarity and (4) resource similarity. We attempt to find out what key resources in SMEs are related to the usage of IT-enabled collaboration and the contributions to SME performance. We conduct case study with 8 SMEs in Mt. Pillow Leisure Agriculture Area. After data collection and analysis, we figure out that both operand and operant resources have positive impact on IT-enabled collaboration; furthermore, operant resources contribute more for SMEs to communicate and coordinate with each other and customers. In addition, from our research, we demonstrate that IT-enabled collaboration helps SMEs to perform better. Therefore, we suggest operant resources as important resources for SMEs engaging in IT-enabled collaboration and consequently enhancing their performance.
|Reference:||1. Arnould, E. "Service-dominant logic and resource theory," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (36:1) 2008, pp 21-24.|
2. Bakos, J. Y., and Brynjolfsson, E. "From vendors to partners: Information technology and incomplete contracts in buyer‐supplier relationships," Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce (3:3) 1993, pp 301-328.
3. Barney, J. "Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage," Journal of Management (17:1) 1991, pp 99-120.
4. Baum, J. A. C., Calabrese, T., and Silverman, B. S. "Don't go it alone: alliance network composition and startups' performance in Canadian biotechnology," Strategic Management Journal (21:3) 2000, p 267.
5. Bensaou, M. "Interorganizational cooperation: the role of information technology," Information Systems Research (8:2) 1997, p 107.
6. Bhalla, G. "Value Co-Creation," in: Wiley International Encyclopedia of Marketing, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2010.
7. Chae, B., Yen, H. R., and Sheu, C. "Information technology and supply chain collaboration: moderating effects of existing relationships between partners," Engineering Management, IEEE Transactions on (52:4) 2005, pp 440-448.
8. Chen, J.-S., Tsou, H.-T., and Huang, A. Y.-H. "Service Delivery Innovation," Journal of Service Research (12:1) 2009, pp 36-55.
9. Chen, M.-J. "Competitor Analysis and Interfirm Rivalry: Toward a Theoretical Integration," The Academy of Management Review (21:1) 1996, pp 100-134.
10. Chung, S., Singh, H., and Lee, K. "Complementarity, status similarity and social capital as drivers of alliance formation," Strategic Management Journal (21:1) 2000, pp 1-22.
11. Constantin, J. A., and Lusch, R. F. Understanding resource management: how to deploy your people, products, and processes for maximum productivity Planning Forum, 1994, p. 246.
12. Das, T. K., and Teng, B.-S. "A Resource-Based Theory of Strategic Alliances," Journal of Management (26:1) 2000, pp 31-61.
13. Davenport, S. "Exploring the role of proximity in SME knowledge-acquisition," Research Policy (34:5) 2005, pp 683-701.
14. Dess, G. G., and Robinson, R. B. "Measuring organizational performance in the absence of objective measures: The case of the privately-held firm and conglomerate business unit," Strategic Management Journal (5:3) 1984, pp 265-273.
15. Dollinger, M. J., and Golden, P. A. "Interorganizational and Collective Strategies in Small Firms: Environmental Effects and Performance," Journal of Management (18:4) 1992, pp 695-715.
16. Eisenhardt, K. M., and Schoonhoven, C. B. "Resource-Based View of Strategic Alliance Formation: Strategic and Social Effects in Entrepreneurial Firms," Organization Science (7:2) 1996, pp 136-150.
17. Faems, D., Van Looy, B., and Debackere, K. "Interorganizational Collaboration and Innovation: Toward a Portfolio Approach*," Journal of Product Innovation Management (22:3) 2005, pp 238-250.
18. Fernández, Z., and Nieto, M. J. "Internationalization Strategy of Small and Medium-Sized Family Businesses: Some Influential Factors," Family Business Review (18:1) 2005, pp 77-89.
19. Forrest, J. E. "Strategic Alliances and the Small Technology-Based Firm," Journal of Small Business Management (28), July 1990, pp 37-45.
20. Froehle, C. M., Roth, A. V., Chase, R. B., and Voss, C. A. "Antecedents of New Service Development Effectiveness," Journal of Service Research (3:1) 2000, pp 3-17.
21. Füller, J., Mühlbacher, H., Matzler, K., and Jawecki, G. "Consumer Empowerment through Internet-Based Co-creation," Journal of Management Information Systems (26:3) 2009, pp 71-102.
22. Gomes- Casseres, B. "Alliance Strategies of Small Firms," Small Business Economics (9:1) 1997, pp 33-44.
23. Grant, R. M. "The Resource-Based Theory of Competitive Advantage: Implications for Strategy Formulation," California Management Review (33:3), 1991, pp 114-135.
24. Gulati, R. "Does Familiarity Breed Trust? The Implications of Repeated Ties for Contractual Choice in Alliances," The Academy of Management Journal (38:1) 1995b, pp 85-112.
25. Gulati, R. "Social Structure and Alliance Formation Patterns: A Longitudinal Analysis," Administrative Science Quarterly (40:4) 1995a, pp 619-652.
26. Hall, R. "The strategic analysis of intangible resources," Strategic Management Journal (13:2) 1992, pp 135-144.
27. Hall, R. "A framework linking intangible resources and capabilities to sustainable competitive advantage," Strategic Management Journal (14:8) 1993, pp 607-618.
28. Hamel, G., Doz, Y. L., and Prahalad, C. K. "Collaborate with Your Competitors--and Win," Harvard Business Review (67:1) 1989, pp 133-139.
29. Harrison, J. S., Hitt, M. A., Hoskisson, R. E., and Ireland, R. D. "Resource complementarity in business combinations: Extending the logic to organizational alliances," Journal of Management (27:6) 2001, p 679.
30. Hoffmann, W. H., and Schlosser, R. "Success Factors of Strategic Alliances in Small and Medium-sized Enterprises—An Empirical Survey," Long Range Planning (34:3) 2001, pp 357-381.
31. Hossain, L., and Wigand, R. T. "ICT Enabled Virtual Collaboration through Trust," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication (10:1) 2004, pp 22-31.
32. Jarratt, D. "A strategic classification of business alliances: a qualitative perspective built from a study of small and medium-sized enterprises," Qualitative Market Research (1:1) 1998, pp 39-49.
33. Joseph B. Skipper, C. W. C., Terry Anthony Byrd, R. Kelly Rainer "Towards a theoretical foundation of supply network interdependence and technology-enabled coordination strategies," International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management (38:1) 2008.
34. Kale, P., Dyer, J. H., and Singh, H. "Alliance capability, stock market response, and long-term alliance success: the role of the alliance function," Strategic Management Journal (23:8) 2002, pp 747-767.
35. Kogut, B. "Joint Ventures: Theoretical and Empirical Perspectives," Strategic Management Journal (9:4) 1988, pp 319-332.
36. Kumar, K., and Dissel, H. G. v. "Sustainable Collaboration: Managing Conflict and Cooperation in Interorganizational Systems," MIS Quarterly (20:3) 1996, pp 279-300.
37. Li, L. "The effects of information technology implementation on supply chain collaboration," Int. J. Internet and Enterprise Management (4:2) 2006, pp 118-134.
38. Madhavaram, S., and Hunt, S. "The service-dominant logic and a hierarchy of operant resources: developing masterful operant resources and implications for marketing strategy," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (36:1) 2008, pp 67-82.
39. Madrid-Guijarro, A., Garcia, D., and Van Auken, H. "Barriers to Innovation among Spanish Manufacturing SMEs," Journal of Small Business Management (47:4) 2009, pp 465-488.
40. Matthyssens, P., Vandenbempt, K., and Weyns, S. "Transitioning and co-evolving to upgrade value offerings: A competence-based marketing view," Industrial Marketing Management (38:5) 2009, pp 504-512.
41. McIvor, R., Humphreys, P., and McCurry, L. "Electronic commerce: supporting collaboration in the supply chain?," Journal of Materials Processing Technology (139:1-3) 2003, pp 147-152.
42. Miller, D., and Shamsie, J. "The Resource-Based View of the Firm in Two Environments: The Hollywood Film Studios from 1936 to 1965," The Academy of Management Journal (39:3) 1996, pp 519-543.
43. OECD Tourism in OECD Countries 2008 OECD Publishing, 2008.
44. OECD SMEs, Entrepreneurship and Innovation OECD Publishing, 2010.
45. Oh, L. B., and Teo, H. H. "Consumer value co-creation in a hybrid commerce service-delivery system," International Journal of Electronic Commerce (14:3) 2010, p 35.
46. Olesen, K., and Myers, M. "Trying to improve communication and collaboration with information technology. An action research project which failed," Information Technology and People (12:4) 1999, pp 317-332.
47. Paulraj, A., and Chen, I. J. "Strategic Buyer–Supplier Relationships, Information Technology and External Logistics Integration," Journal of Supply Chain Management (43:2) 2007, pp 2-14.
48. Payne, A., and Frow, P. "A Strategic Framework for Customer Relationship Management," Journal of Marketing (69:4), 2005/10/01 2005, pp 167-176.
49. Payne, A., Storbacka, K., and Frow, P. "Managing the co-creation of value," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (36:1) 2008, pp 83-96.
50. Philipsen, K. "Suppliers' opportunity enactment through the development of valuable capabilities," Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing (23:1) 2007, p 23.
51. Podolny, J. M. "Market Uncertainty and the Social Character of Economic Exchange," Administrative Science Quarterly (39:3) 1994, pp 458-483.
52. Porter, M. E., and Fuller, M. B. "Coalitions and Global Strategy," in: Competition in Global Industries, M.E. Porter (ed.), Harvard Business School Press, 1986, pp. 315-344.
53. Powell, W. W., Koput, K. W., and Smith-Doerr, L. "Interorganizational Collaboration and the Locus of Innovation: Networks of Learning in Biotechnology," Administrative Science Quarterly (41:1) 1996, pp 116-145.
54. Prahalad, C. K., and Ramaswamy, V. "Co-creating unique value with customers," Strategy and Leadership (32:3) 2004, pp 4-9.
55. Reid, L. J., Smith, S. L. J., and McCloskey, R. "The effectiveness of regional marketing alliances: A case study of the Atlantic Canada Tourism Partnership 2000–2006," Tourism Management (29:3) 2008, pp 581-593.
56. Reinartz, W., Krafft, M., and Hoyer, W. D. "The Customer Relationship Management Process: Its Measurement and Impact on Performance," Journal of Marketing Research (41:3) 2004, pp 293-305.
57. Roos, P. L. a. J. Strategic alliance: formation, implementation, and evolution Blackwell Business, 1993.
58. Scott, J. E. "Facilitating Interorganizational Learning with Information Technology," J. Manage. Inf. Syst. (17:2) 2000, pp 81-113.
59. Sexton, M. I., B. Betts, M. "Information Technology-Enabled Knowledge Sharing in Multinational Strategic Alliances: Media Richness - Task Relevance Fit," CIB W78 International Conference on Information Technology for Construction CIB, Netherlands, 2003, pp. 294-301.
60. Sheehan, J. "Understanding service sector innovation," Commun. ACM (49:7) 2006, pp 42-47.
61. Smith, G. E., Watson, K. J., Baker, W. H., and Pokorski Ii, J. A. "A critical balance: collaboration and security in the IT-enabled supply chain," International Journal of Production Research (45:11), 2007/06/01 2007, pp 2595-2613.
62. Spohrer, J., Vargo, S. L., Caswell, N., and Maglio, P. P. "The Service System Is the Basic Abstraction of Service Science," the 41st Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2008), HICSS, Hawaii, 2008, pp. 104-104.
63. Srivastava, R. K., Fahey, L., and Christensen, H. K. "The resource-based view and marketing: The role of market-based assets in gaining competitive advantage," Journal of Management (27:6) 2001, p 777.
64. Stump, R. L., and Sriram, V. "Employing information technology in purchasing: Buyer-supplier relationships and size of the supplier base," Industrial Marketing Management (26:2) 1997, pp 127-136.
65. Subramani, M. "How Do Suppliers Benefit from Information Technology Use in Supply Chain Relationships?," MIS Quarterly (28:1) 2004, pp 45-73.
66. Tambunan, T. "The Performance of Small Enterprises during Economic Crisis: Evidence from Indonesia," Journal of Small Business Management (38:4) 2000, pp 93-101.
67. Teece, D. J. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy (15:6) 1986, pp 285-305.
68. Tether, B. S. "Who co-operates for innovation, and why: An empirical analysis," Research Policy (31:6) 2002, pp 947-967.
69. Vargo, S. L., and Lusch, R. F. "Evolving to a New Dominant Logic for Marketing," Journal of Marketing (68:1) 2004a, pp 1-17.
70. Vargo, S. L., and Lusch, R. F. "The Four Service Marketing Myths," Journal of Service Research (6:4), 2004b, pp 324-335.
71. West, J. "Open Innovation," in: Wiley International Encyclopedia of Marketing, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2010.
72. Williamson, O. E. "The Economic Institutions of Capitalism: Firms, Markets, Relational Contracting," Free press) 1985, pp 442-444.
73. Yin, R. K. Case study research: design and method Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA, 2003.
74. Youndt, M. A., Snell, S. A., Dean, J. W., Jr., and Lepak, D. P. "Human Resource Management, Manufacturing Strategy, and Firm Performance," The Academy of Management Journal (39:4) 1996, pp 836-866.
|Appears in Collections:||[資訊管理學系] 學位論文|
Files in This Item:
All items in 學術集成 are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.