Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||Analysis of the Mobile Number Portability Policy in the Telecom Market with or without Price Discrimination|
Chiou, Hui Lan
Juang, Wei Torng
Chiou, Hui Lan
mobile number portability
|Issue Date:||2016-05-09 13:27:44 (UTC+8)|
|Abstract:||We attempt to analyze why the adoption of the mobile number portability policy incurs no (or very little) effect in encouraging competition in the telecommunication market. The cause is related to network externality. The level of network externality can be characterized by the proportion of any individual’s friends who are also adopting in the same carrier as the individual does. We find that such network externality may prohibit competition in the telecommunication market when termination-based pricing is prevailing. When termination-based pricing is prohibited, carriers cannot take advantage of network externality. We characterize the conditions such that without termination-based pricing, carriers become more competitive and consumers benefit more than with termination-based prices. Our study provides insightful implication on how to effectively impose the mobile number portability policy to improve competition in the telecommunication market.|
|Reference:||1. I-ping, Chang Chien (2000), “Two-part tariff in the mobile phone industry.” Thesis for master of National Cheng Kung University.
2. Ching-I, Huang (2006), “Peers effect and consumption behavior in interconnected networks.”
3. Laffront, J.-J and J. Tirole (2000), “Competition in telecommunications.” Cambridge, MA: MIIT Press.
4. Littlechild, Stephen C. (1975), “Two-part tariffs and consumption externalities.” The Bell Journal of Economics, vol.6, pp. 661-670
5. Chorng-Jian, Liu (1995), “Telecommunication network with externalities and the two-part tariff.” Taipei Economic Inquiry, vol 33, no.2, pp.1-19
6. Pa-Wen, Liu (2003), “Pricing strategies for mobile phone service.” Thesis for master of Shih Hsin University
7. Reinke, T.H. (1998) “Local number portability and local loop competition : critical issues.” Telecommunication Policy, vol 22, pp.73-87
8. Hong-Hsiang, Yeh (2005) “Research of the impact of switching cost, customer satisfaction and MNP on customer retention in mobile telecommunication market.” Thesis for master of Tatung University
|Appears in Collections:||[經濟學系] 學位論文|
Files in This Item:
All items in 學術集成 are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.